The enquiry service of the National Archives of Latvia helps citizens, authorities and others to obtain archive statements or copies of documents that are preserved by the Archives for official purposes and for other purposes.
How to order
You can order archive statements or copies of documents from your home computer using online service (in Latvian).
Requests can be also submitted:
- by e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org,
- by regular mail The National Archives of Latvia, Šķūņu iela 11, Riga, Latvia, LV-1050,
- in person in any division of the National Archives of Latvia
The applicant’s name, family name, personal code and/or date of birth, postal address, contact phone, e-mail must be indicated in the request.
Main topics of enquiries are:
- attestation of one's length of service required for pension eligibility.
The query can be answered if documents of personnel of the certain institution or enterprise have been given to the Archives;
- property rights of buildings and owning a property as well about owning shares of industrial enterprises, ships and securities until 1940;
- family events like birth, death, marriage etc. (mainly about data until 1919). The archives hold church registers, parish member lists and soul revision lists, as well as many personal documents. When making an enquiry, it should be marked where did these persons live, which congregation did they belong to etc.
- the citizenship of the Republic of Latvia in 1918—1940;
- political repressions during the period of German occupation and/or the Soviet Union and military service in the Latvian Defence Forces (until 1940), in the German army during the World War II in 1941—1945 and in the Soviet army (until 1991);
Statements are only prepared for requests specified in detail, i.e., the customer should be able to provide sufficient initial information when placing a request.
Time of preparation of the archive statement is one month.
A state fee payment notice or archival service invoice will be sent to you after complete of your enquiry. You will receive the statement in few days after receipt of payment.
Prices of archive statements
Archive statements prepared for official purposes are subject of state fees according to the Regulations Regarding the State Fee for the Preparation and Issue of the Social Legal Statement of the National Archives of Latvia. The price of statement is based on the number of facts, mentioned in the statement.
The price of the archival statement done for personal reasons is regulated in the price list of the National Archives. The price of statement is based on the number of documents and archives used.